Friday, June 27, 2014

Probably the coolest Mormons ever



I think this week was very beneficial to me. During our district meeting we made goals to have at least 2 more people in each of our areas that have a date for baptism. After the district meeting we had exchanges with Elder Eddington and Elder Oaks. We did not accomplish our goal but we got two more people on date yesterday, even though its next week. Right after the district meeting, Elder Sumner and his exchange companion for the next 3 days, got 3 people on date 2 hours after the meeting. The dates that we have set already are really solid and they are set for the 5th and 12th of July.

When Elder Eddington told us that I was going to be staying in my area, I about freaked out! I did not think I was able to take on the role of senior companion for three days. Partially because I did not think I was ready because this is only my second area. I saw myself coming out of my comfort zone and talking with a lot more people than I usually do. It was really neat because I am now somewhat comfortable with being the senior companion. But I am grateful that elder Eddington felt inspired that I should be the senior companion for the exchange.

We were walking down the road to a less actives home and we see these two young people sitting on an island in the middle of the road with a sign that said, "STUPID TRAVLIN' HIPPIES". We decided that we were going to talk to them. We ended up talking for a really long time. There was a guy that was 25 and a girl that was 18. They were pretty cool people. He told us that he was Mormon and that his dad is a really good practicing Mormon and he has been traveling for over 5 years. Somewhere down the line he met this girl that was traveling. All they do is hop onto freight trains and go to wherever it takes them. They stay there for a few days and get some money for food and such. He said he has been to every single state in the USA.
(I am guessing he didn't take a train to Hawaii)
He had a lot of stories to tell. We were going to see them the next day but they had left that morning on a train. They were both trying to get to the east coast. Who knows! They are probably already in Nebraska now. They both said that we were probably the coolest Mormons that they have ever met. They made like 30 dollars within the hour that we were there talking with them. It’s a rough life but it sounds like it pays pretty well. (Not my idea of how to make a living. (one of McKade's great- grandfathers had been known to travel by train back in the day, so maybe it's in the blood) 

I’ve been asked how big our church building is. Well it is REALLY small. I can walk throughout the whole thing within 15 seconds.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment